- May 1, 2023
- By JustElectricBlogs
- City Life and Electrical News
When it comes to electrical safety, it’s important to stay informed and take proactive steps to protect your home and family. Electrical hazards can cause serious damage, injury, and even death if not properly addressed. To help you keep your home safe, we’ve compiled a list of 10 tips to help you avoid electrical hazards.
- Schedule regular electrical maintenance: Regular electrical maintenance can help identify potential hazards before they become serious issues. Make sure to have a licensed electrician perform routine inspections and repairs.
- Keep electrical cords in good condition: Damaged cords can pose a fire risk. Make sure to inspect your cords regularly and replace them if they are frayed or damaged.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets: Overloaded outlets can overheat and start a fire. Make sure to spread out your electrical devices and use surge protectors to prevent overloading.
- Use extension cords properly: Extension cords should only be used temporarily and not as a permanent solution. Make sure to unplug them when not in use and avoid running them under carpets or furniture.
- Install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs): GFCIs can help prevent electrocution by quickly shutting off power in the event of an electrical fault. Make sure to install them in areas with water, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Keep flammable materials away from electrical sources: Flammable materials, such as paper and cloth, can easily ignite from electrical sparks. Keep them away from electrical sources and use caution when using them near electrical devices.
- Don’t touch electrical appliances with wet hands: Wet hands can increase the risk of electrical shock. Make sure to dry your hands before using electrical appliances.
- Avoid DIY electrical work: Electrical work should only be performed by licensed professionals. Attempting DIY electrical work can be dangerous and even deadly.
- Install smoke detectors: Smoke detectors can help detect fires caused by electrical hazards. Make sure to install them on every level of your home and outside of each bedroom.
- Call a licensed electrician for any electrical issues: If you experience any electrical issues or have concerns about the safety of your electrical system, call a licensed electrician immediately.
By following these 10 tips, you can help keep your home safe from electrical hazards. At Just Electric, we are dedicated to providing our customers with top-notch electrical services. If you have any electrical concerns or issues, give us a call at 626-625-9021. Our licensed electricians are available 24/7 to help you with all of your electrical needs.